Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Video of the Week: Incubus (RBN), I sense and know its presence yet I'm asleep.

 Incubus is out for purchase today via the Rock Band Network on Xbox 360, yay! I was starting to get impatient for some new Amberian Dawn songs, so it's about time another makes it out of Peer Review.

This song took me a few tries before I managed an FC. I guess most of it is I'm really out of practice with singing. I didn't have a mic for a long time and I've been having a hard time FCing any Amberian Dawn songs when it used to be so easy in the past. :/ I also did this song as soon as I got up so my voice wasn't really awake yet.. but I was so impatient to play it that I tried anyway.

Anyway after I got the FC my new problem was "How to FC this and not sound like crap?". I hate to say it, but it's something I didn't find the answer to.

My voice is weak in the song. It's especially noticeable in the phrase: ".. to take over me and choke me!"
Trying to go higher on "over" breaks my voice a bit and it sounds bad. I'm also having to squeeze the literal last bit of air from my lungs to pull it off and that isn't helping.

On top of that there is the chorus: "Ah Ah ah ah ah".. I don't know why but it really seems to come out bad from the direct capture and a lot better from my external recording of myself. This I just don't understand... maybe the mic can't take it.. or maybe I'm too loud. I tried to pull away from the microphone on these parts but it doesn't seem to have solved it.

So yes, I sound bad. Like BAD. Like so much so that I've sat here for hours wondering what to do and how to salvage my video. I honestly can't be arsed to haul my PC to the living room and record it again so I guess I'm going to have to leave it. I really like this style of singing but it seems that my voice is just not good enough for it.

If I had a singing teacher maybe I could eventually get better, but maybe not. To be honest after hearing this video I'm wondering if that is perhaps why when I had hoped to get a classical singing teacher he told me to consider another genre... specifically he said "gospel". (Gospel?! Seriously?! I don't even believe in religion!)

Oh well. To at least show the difference between the external and direct audio capture I'm going to include the raw video of the chorus from the external point of view.

Incubus 100% Expert Vocals



Chorus Raw External Audio

3 comments:

  1. Oh, come on! There's no reason to be so dissatisfied with your job here. Anyway, you can always make a real cover without the restraints of Rock Band.

    I just had an idea. Perhaps you could find a teacher in the States or so who would be willing to arrange lessons through Skype with you? Microphone plus webcam can't quite replace the "live" experience, sure, but it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blah I was really really bothered by my voice, I think it's the microphone though because it sounds less bad externally.

    Hmm that is an idea.. no idea how it'd work though. I'm still waiting for September to look into that Mission Voix thing. Apparently they won't tell me anything until then :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blah I was really really bothered by my voice, I think it's the microphone though because it sounds less bad externally.

    Hmm
    that is an idea.. no idea how it'd work though. I'm still waiting for
    September to look into that Mission Voix thing. Apparently they won't
    tell me anything until then :/

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions?
Keep it respectful. Any spamming or rude comments may be deleted.